Step 1: Convert your list to a table
- Select any cell in the range and go to Insert > Table.
- Set the cell range and choose OK. Check the Include Heading if you want to include the heading to your table.
- If needed, Sort data in a range or table in your dropdown list.
Tip: Why should you put your data in a table? When your data is in a table, then as you add or remove items from the list, any dropdowns you based on that table will automatically update. You don't need to do anything else.
Step 2: Create a dropdown list
- Select the cell or cell range in the worksheet where you want the dropdown list.
- Go to Data>Data Validation, and then choose the Settings tab in the opened dialog box.
- From Restriction Target in the Validation Criteria, select List.
- In the Source box, select your list range, and then choose Set.
Tip 1: If you don’t want the header to be a selection option, left it out.
Tip 2: Need more cells of data? Drag handle to add a dropdown list for each row or column.