You can convert text files that contain data into a format that is compatible with Cell. The string wizard handles this conversion process automatically without requiring any special action from you.
To open text file in Cell
- Click File > Open.
- In Find in of the Open dialog box, specify the folder where the text file is located.
- Click on the File Type button and select All Files (*.*).
- Select the text file that has to be converted into Cell data format and click Open.
- From the String Wizard - Step 1 of 3 dialog box, select Equal Width under Source Data Type and preview the conversion in Preview.
- Click Next.
- From the String Wizard - Step 2 of 3 dialog box, take one of the following actions in accordance with the data type selected:
If the source data contains separators
- Select the type of separators contained in the source data.
- Preview the conversion in Preview.
If the source data is arranged to a fixed width
- In Preview, click on the location where the separator has to be inserted.
- Click on an inserted separator to remove it.
- Click Next.
- From the String Wizard - Step 3 of 3 dialog box, specify the row or column format for the data that is about to be converted. In Preview, select the row/column header you wish to specify a format for and then select a format in Source Data Type. Selecting Standard automatically specifies the number format in cells containing numbers and the date format in cells containing dates.
- To insert data from the text file into the current worksheet, organized by category, click Finish.